Saturday, December 31, 2005

Pleading Temporary Insanity

A powerful storm has barreled through town yesterday and all night long, causing record flooding and mudslides.

The rain has stopped momentarily.

The Napa River is at 30 ft-- five feet over flood stage.
The Russian River is at 48 ft-- sixteen feet over flood stage.

I email my friend, Dan. "Ya wanna drive out to the coast and watch the waves crashing high over the rocks?!? We can take your 4-wheel drive truck through Guerneville and watch the flooding Russian River!" I try and sound convincing.

He is hesitant, fearing we'll get stuck.

"Ohh that's the best part!" I thought, instantly recognizing I'm obviously suffering from temporary insanity.

The idea of getting stuck in the high waters and being rescued by helicopters throwing ropes down to us, standing on the roof of his truck, actually sounded thrilling to me.

That's when you know I've been indoors too long. Suffering a bit with cabin fever.

I email him back. "yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'll take my Christmas tree down instead." A much safer and smart choice.

I walk into my living room to start this chore I've been putting off, when he emails me back.

"I'm up for "testing the waters"! Ya wanna go for a drive?! I'll come pick you up now!"

I look back over at my Christmas tree. I decide it will be here when I return. "Yes! Come on over!" I tell him. "I'll go grab my raincoat!"

I'll see you in the new year!

7 comments:

The Whippy Curly Tails said...

stay safe..be smart

danny said...

I'll watch for you on the news!!

Janet said...

Let's see...how to choose...go off in the flood, or take down the Christmas tree........... I hate taking down the tree, too!

Janet said...

Just checking in for news of your safe return....:)

Monica said...

Happy New Year!! I hope you welcome it in safely, not stuck in the mud somewhere. I think 2006 has big things in store for you!!

i said...

you know me. that makes me worry.

grumpiest girl said...

I love your sense of adventure, you madwoman. May you always keep it. I know you have your wits about you at all times, so there's no need to worry. I wish you a lifetime of wonderful adventures.