Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Ker-plunk!




Do you remember playing Ker-Plunk?

It's a clear plastic tube filled with marbles, which are supported by crisscrossing sticks inserted through the tube. Then, each player takes a turn pulling out a stick, trying to dislodge as few marbles as possible. As the game progresses and fewer sticks remain, it gets harder to keep the marbles from going ker-plunk! And, at the end of the game, the player with the fewest marbles, wins.

Ever since I bought my 1950s home two years ago, I have looked forward to updating my kitchen with a modern dishwasher. But, for now, I am the modern dishwasher.

I play Ker-Plunk on a daily basis. But it's not that game we played as a kid. I play it in the kitchen. It's a test of coordination as I skillfully pull out each stick---err, cup and dish and glass and pan from my dish drainer hoping nothing drops.

One small mistake and everything goes crashing to the floor. The object is not to lose your marbles. And, I'm about to lose mine if I break any more glasses.

Just thought I'd let you know.

3 comments:

Monica said...

This illustration is great! I love the bright colors and designs on the dishes! And it's even better because I can just imagine you in the kitchen there trying to balance everything. I wish you a new dishwasher very soon :o)

ValGalArt said...

Haha this is very funny as I do the same thing myself! I keep putting off fixing our kitchen because then I will have people here who never seem to leave, who invade my space and they always want more money than they originally said!

Janet said...

Hey, I play this game, too!When we were first married and remodeling our house,we were discussing the new cabinets which were being built.John pointed to a spot in the kitchen and said,"your new dishwasher will go there".I (who had grown up in a house with no dishwasher,said," who needs a dishwasher. I'd rather have more cabinet space!)What was I thinking?