Saturday, April 10, 2010

14-mile race tomorrow in the rain

Heidi called me this morning.

"Shawn, I know you and Angie might be running the relay team as partners tomorrow but I want to run both legs of the race. Do you guys wanna, too?"

To be honest, I had given up the idea of running in this race. I didn't get a confirmation back from Angie that she would run the race with me, and besides, the weather forecast calls for a cold steady rain all day. So I gave it up in my mind.  Didn't want to run seven miles in the rain. Actually felt relieved I didn't hear back from Angie.

As Heidi and I were starting to feel reluctance in running the full 14 miles and maybe run as a relay team together if Angie bails, Angie called Heidi and said, "Yes!"  She was willing to run the entire 14 miles with us. 

Then that settled it. Angie, Heidi and I are going to run both legs of the relay race tomorrow.

And, yes,  i'm ...  nervous!

I know i can do it. But I haven't been running on a consistent basis and I have never run that far before in my life, though it's just a little over a mile further than the half-marathon I ran back in February.

It's up at Annadel State Park and will cover a lot of hills.  Muddy hills. But after wading through the icy stream last weekend, I now know not to run around those puddles but to run through them. And, besides that, with all that rain, my shoes will be water-logged anyway.


I better go see if I have any clean running clothes. And I'll drink plenty of water.  Tomorrow morning is coming quickly.  Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Dan Guerra said...

Wow! okay gooood luck tomorrow Shawn! Man that rain seems to schedule itself during your runs! Like washing your car! :o)
And 14 miles too, that's reeeally gettin' up there! Good goin'!

doodlegirl said...

oh yeahh! That's riiight! Rain on cue! Like right after washing the car, if I schedule a run, rain is inevitable!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Well, you already know you can run in wet shoes! 14 miles is only a little bit farther than a half! You can do it!

Fletch said...

Go Girl!!! I like the way you think!! Praying for you.

bren said...

GOOD LUCK SHAWN. Hope the rain isnt too brutal!

doodlegirl said...

I thought of you Tina while I was out running... i remembered what you said and I kept repeating to myself, "I can run in wet shoes!!!" and I did! As it was soooo wet out there, constant rain and so much mud and flowing streams!

I so appreciate you Fletch! And thank you for your prayers. They pushed me moving... when I didn't wanna move.

And Bren... always a delight to hear from you! Thanks for the good wishes! It was FUN! (especially now that it's all over and done with)! :O)

Jen said...

Did you find some clean running clothes? How long did they stay that way? You are a stud-ette. Looking forward to your report! Jen