Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ran ten and a Half Mile Run at Pt Reyes National Seashore

I woke up extra early and was out of the house by 6:45 to meet my running group to run at Point Reyes National Seashore. 

Heidi, Denise, Sue, Brittany and i climbed into the SUV and drove south to Point Reyes... our chatter sometimes silenced by the beauty of the landscape around us.  Fog laying low on the earth.. the sun above shining so brightly touched down into the low-lying clouds and looked like fairy dust... it really felt magical!


We ran nearly 10-1/2 miles this morning in Point Reyes National Seashore and it was truly a spectacular run... breezing past the Douglas fir forest and along the rushing Bear Valley Creek.  The Bear Valley trail ended here at the end of the california coastline called Arch Rock and so we stopped and took pictures. 

It was incredible!!! This part of of our coastline is not anywhere near roads and cars and people. It probably looks much like it did a hundred years ago. The photo below is probably where the name Arch Rock got its name.



I soaked in the beauty and then sat down on the ground and emptied out a small rock out of my left shoe and smoothed out the wrinkle from my sock on my right shoe... and headed back.


Through the ferns, moss-covered trees and forget-me-nots framing our trail.


In two weeks I will run this again. I plan to film this on my Flip. It really truly is an amazing trail.


By the way, this is along the San Andreas Fault. Apparently it's one of the most scariest places to be if you're ever in an earthquake here.  So.. it's an obvious great place to run if you wanna quicken your pace ... as I did as I ran toward the car.

6 comments:

Dan Guerra said...

Wow that's amazing Shawn! 10+ miles in an amazing place, those pictures are awesome! Yeahhh Tomales Bay is actually the San Andreas Fault. And just beyond that point in the first pic is Drake's Bay. Francis Drake landed there over 400 years ago. He woulda been proud! :o)

doodlegirl said...

oh yeah! Good ol' Francis Drake! We learned a lot about him in school since we live so close to Drake's Bay! This is a great place to hike and picnic at, too!

Jen said...

Wow! Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, you better take me there. Gorgeous! This is what trail running is all about. The beauty makes us forget our pain.

doodlegirl said...

You are so right Jen! And you're on! The next time you're in my neck of the woods, Kelly and I BOTH will take you there! It is incredibly gorgeous.

Christine said...

What incredibly gorgeous views! You're so lucky to live near such great trails. And 10+ miles? You go!!! That's awesome!!

justdoodleit said...

Beautiful...I could sit and paint these scenes for days :)