Thursday, March 15, 2007

Lives lost

I have lost two cousins within a month.

One from a short, unexpected illness. The other from a tragic car accident.

The accident happened on Sunday night. I heard about it on the radio.
A fatal head-on collision. The road was closed for two hours on both sides. Whenever I hear sirens or news like that, i always whisper, "oh please god, help them be well..." you just never know when it might be someone you know. I would hope someone would whisper that for me if I were in that situation.

His father died the same way. He was my dad's younger brother. Driving along on his own side of the lane when a car came out of nowhere and killed him head-on. My cousin was 43. His father was just 46.

Three of my friends have also lost a parent these past two weeks. And a long time family friend passed away this morning.

My mom called me and told me. She said, "Ya know, I was wanting him to do tile work in my bathroom. I've been meaning to call him. And I didn't. Just goes to show you, you just never know..."

I remember going to his out-door garden wedding in a small country town in Boonville, California when I was maybe only 10 years old. He appeared so old to me. But now I'm guessing he was only in his thirties.

Within a month ago, all of these people were alive in this world. Living their life, making plans. Putting things off until tomorrow. Now they are not. Seems so sudden. So final. So unfair.

I am so grateful to be in this life. I do belong in it. For however long, isn't promised to me. I hope I make it as full as I can.

It is so beautiful outside. Spring is exploding with so much fragrance. I can hear someone hammering in the distance. I see two quail outside my window strolling quietly along on a date. And there is a fly buzzing up against the window behind me, wishing to escape back outside into this glorious weather. I wish it would, too.

I love this time of year. I wonder how many Springs I will enjoy in my lifetime. I hope to enjoy at least 50 more. Though it doesn't seem like nearly enough. No not nearly enough. Life is short.

I'm off to make the most of it.

4 comments:

Doodlestreet said...

Ohhhh...Shawnie!...I had no idea you were going thru all this. I will be writing you soon. My heart goes out to you and your family. What a month this has been--I'm hoping spring brings more beautiful bouquets of light and life.

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry Shawn. I wish you cool breezes and beautiful colors to help you through this.

danny said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin, Shawn. I too lost a cousin that same way, back in 1991, and he was 44 at the time.
It is very true that everything in life must be appreciated, everthing you see, and hear, and taste, and smell...and feel...because we're alive to experience them.
And indeed, life is very precious. Especially when we realize that it can end at any time.

Rayne said...

I am so sorry. So much loss.
I do the same thing as you when I hear the sirens. Please, don't let anyone be hurt. Let it be all right.