Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Simple Way to Make Soup


"It's really simple," she told me. "You just take whatever jar of spaghetti sauce you happen to have in your cupboard.. and dilute with water and that becomes your tomato base. Then you simply cut up whatever vegetables you have in the fridge.. and there's your soup!"

What a brilliant idea!
Ever since I put in my new kitchen, I imagined myself cooking delicious dinners in it. But if you recall my 5-minute egg or my tuna casserole, you'll know I am not a very good, imaginative cook. 

Last night, I poured in the Prego Pasta Sauce (the expiration date was 8/31/07 but it smelled okay when I opened it up) and added water and soon I was cutting up potatoes, carrots, asparagus, green beans, bell pepper, onion and even poured in some rice.

And then a little bit more rice since it had dropped to the bottom of the pot and I couldn't see it. I waited about five minutes... stirred it... didn't see too many flakes of rice, so I poured in some more. I wasn't sure how much I had poured in.
But within fifteen minutes my soup had turned into a more of just a rice dish.


I nearly broke the spoon trying to stir through that sludge of rice. If you're hungry, come on over. I have enough to feed an army.

10 comments:

danny said...

wow that looks pretty good! I'll have some! :o)
Actually, when you pour in the spaghetti sauce, how much water do you dilute it with?

doodlegirl said...

well, i added a ton of water so that's why that pot is so full... but what i've learned since that trial and error, is to add maybe "this much" . (If you could see me I would show you about the size of my thumb) and then you could always add more water if it's too thick.

Janet said...

I made a huge pot of soup over the weekend (huge, cause I keep adding more and more veggies and hafta keep getting a bigger pot). If you lived closer, I woulda brought some over to you...
(not knocking your rice dish/soup...it actually looks really tasty!

violetismycolor said...

It looks pretty yummy. I'm in.

doodlegirl said...

Janet, I would have soooo enjoyed your soup. Next time I make some, I will resist the urge to put in rice. I really had no idea how much rice you get out of just a (relatively) few rice kernals.

Thanks "violet". C'mon over.

Doodlestreet said...

Right on! That's like making "camper stew"! Good for you for being brave and diving into your new kitchen to mix up new things. It's pretty fun, isn't it? I've always found rice to be like laundry soap...put in too much and it piles out over the top of the washer...hey! remember that episode on the Brady Bunch..yup...like that. Gurgle..gurgle...gurgle... hee hee...
I'm helpless without my rice cooker. :O|
Your dish looks ricey, dicey, spicy!! Yum!!!

Kate said...

This does look yummy but I do wonder what "flakes of rice" are??? Sounds like instant to me!!! Get yourself some brown rice or wild rice or basmati rice, girl!
2009 is the year of the soup for us and I've been having a blast making them. Sometimes a lousy casserole can become a dynamite soup.

luci said...

Oh, Shawn, that looks delicious! :D
I laughed so hard when I read the part about the expiration date. I used to do that too, when things did not smell foul, I deemed it okay.

luci said...

PS: It seems you like to cook and have people eat with you. I just read an article about creative entertaining ... one of them was about making soup together. The host provide the soup stock, and guests come bringing ingredients for the soup.

bren said...

you always crack me up.