Friday, June 9, 2006

My past is paving my future



I was reading through my 1988 journal when I came across this bank deposit slip of mine tucked in between the pages. This was ALL the money I had on February 26, 1988.

And, as poor as I was, I remember feeling okay about my life. I felt rich in my poor state.

Well. Okay. Not rich. But, I figured I had enough.


On one side of the page was a list I had written:

Goals for 1988:

Make $17,000 a year.
Design greeting cards.
Buy an Artograph Projector.
Buy a Video Editing Deck.
Videotape weddings.

On the other side of the page was the lyrics to "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" by Timbuk3.


I was an optimist.

. . . . . .

The only thing I accomplished on my list that year, was buying the Artograph Projector, but eventually, I DID make $17,000 a year and designed hundreds of greeting cards and bought a video editing deck and even videotaped weddings among a slew of other projects.

But. It all came about because I believed in myself and I didn't let a lack of funds stop me from dreaming.

Today, I am not rich by any stretch of the word. But I am a self-employed artist who is finding her way in this world.

I believe at this very moment, I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

And I believe my past, though checkered by some struggles and seemingly failures, has made my present life much more appreciative and productive.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Are you sure that wasn't MY bank statement you scanned?!! Mine looked just like that in 1988! HA! Mine sometimes STILL looks like that! :(

Monica said...

It's great to be able to look back and see how far you've come. I think we might all have moments like that might feel "poor" but it is important to keep dreaming. Thanks for the reminder!

Janet said...

Yeah...that bank balance looks familiar to me also! Your posts are always inspiring!

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

I couldnt agree more. Its great moments like these that just gives us a little reminder that we are on the right track. Thanks for sharing :-)

Rayne said...

I can't tell you how much I needed to read something like this today. I'm feeling so low that I forget sometimes that nothing is permanent.
On another note, I love finding old things like this from my past. Would that be called self-archeology?

Anonymous said...

An useful review

Anonymous said...

It's so great that you share this with us

Anonymous said...

Instead of criticism advise the problem decision.